Tuesday, October 5, 2010

Faith

Faith is to hope for things which are not seen, but which are true.



The other day I was texting my friend and I said "I think Heavenly Father is laughing at me right now". She replied saying "I think he's teaching you to have a little faith."

She has a really good point. I always considered myself to have a great amount of faith. I have never questioned the truth of the church and I have always had faith that things always have a way of working themselves out. Regardless of how it works out, it's never as bad as we think, a lot of the time it's even better than we think.

Over the past few months my faith has not been tested. As far as me and my life were concerned, my faith was there but sitting still. Not needing to be used and not being tried at all.

It wasn't until my friend told me this that I really stopped and thought about the amount of things that have happened to me in the past few months, that weren't faith testers but were faith provers. There was an event where I silently looked up at the sky and asked Heavenly Father where he was, to help get me out of a situation, and within seconds I was saved. There was a time when I prayed asking that I could feel at peace with something that was going to happen and I had no control over. I asked that if I couldn't have more time, I could be at peace with that. That very day I was overcome with a huge amount of love and a feeling that told me it's going to be ok and I am not alone in this.

Through a simple text message response, I was able to see that I need to have more faith. I need to have faith in things that cannot happen immediately. I need to have faith that the good decisions I make today will lead not only to a good tomorrow but to a good forever.

I have always had a great amount of faith in Heavenly Father and I have always known of the truth that is restored on this earth. I have taken huge leaps of faith and muttered short prayers only to see and feel his love for me. Whether it happened that day or years down the road. His love is there. He shows it to us through our families and friends. He shows it to us by surrounding us with beauty. He shows it to us by simply giving us that feeling of peace we have been longing for.

When he sent us to earth he had faith in us. He gives us challenges because he has unwavering faith that we can overcome adversity. When I was told that maybe I was being taught to have a little faith, I thought I already have enough faith. But sometimes we need a reminder that even though we have put our faith in God, we need to find a little faith in ourselves, as well.

4 comments:

Spring said...

Thank you for writing this today, it made me think as well. You are the best Amber :)

Kelsey M. said...

um, how did you know that i needed to hear this?? thanks for sharing!!

Meganps said...

i really like the last paragraph of this - about Heavenly Father having faith in us, and about having a little faith in ourselves.

I agree with Kaylee and Kelsey - thanks for writing. This was a rather poetic post. Maybe someday I can write like you...if I have faith in myself?

rachel said...

This is a really beautiful post, thank you for bearing part of your soul with us :)