Thursday, October 7, 2010

Sgt. Maxwell the 1st (and only)

I will never forget the day that Maxwell came into my life. My dad was not thrilled about it and had no idea that Max would be the only dog that stuck around for so long.

Max was the kind of dog that made people question if they really hated dogs or not. He was brilliant. He knew every trick from giving fives to army crawling (that's why we call him the Sarge) . He learned how to spell walk and car, I think that's all he really ever liked. Going for rides in the car and walks. I wouldn't be able to count the number of miles we have walked together and the number of times he was my main source of comfort. So many memories, I'd start from the beginning but it would take a few years to explain.

He learned how to unlock our back door so we could sneak in during the day...or night. He knew when company came over he had to "go hide" which to him meant "sleep under the couch". He worried so much about being a good dog. He loved everyone. I don't just mean he loved other people, he loved everyone including the toad that lived in the window well.

He was an emotional dog. He broke out in hives when he got nervous and if you took his collar off, he was lost. Unless you did it to scratch his neck.

No amount of words can give this dog justice. He was just too great.

I love you Maxwell. Thanks for years of endless amusement and love. Thank you for being a constant companion to everyone that ever needed it. Thanks for always going crazy when I came home and for being sad every time you saw one of us packing to leave. Thanks for car rides and walks. Thanks for knowing how to smile.
You will be greatly missed and always, irreplaceable.


“So we see that the Lord intends to save, not only the earth and the heavens, not only man who dwells upon the earth, but all things which he has created. The animals, the fishes of the sea, the fowls of the air, as well as man, are to be recreated, or renewed, through the resurrection, for they too are living souls.”-Joseph Fielding Smith

Doctrine.

Until we meet again, Fluffy.

2 comments:

Kelsey M. said...

aw what a cute dog!! that makes me so sad :( i almost cried. i'm so sorry.

Joel said...

Amber,

I really am sorry that I didn't remember when you told me. I have always loved my dogs and know what they mean to me. We lost one of our dogs about two years ago and it was devastating. I could only imagine how much Max meant to you. I really have no excuse for not remembering. Call it selfishness for always worrying about myself. I'm sorry and I'll try to make it up to you.