Friday, March 11, 2011

Food.

When I walk into a store I usually leave empty handed, because I am a cheapskate. And in a conversation I am probably not engaged because chances are high that I know very little about what you are talking about.

However, put me inside a restaurant and all my senses are drawn to what is about to happen to my body and the word budget is tossed aside into my mental black hole. I love restaurants and I can give you many facts about many places, I don't want to go as far as to say I'm a connoisseur but I am looking forward to the day I can say that will full confidence.

One of my biggest downfalls is my ever growing love for food and experiments. I am constantly on the prowl for new types or any odd combination of food and places to partake of food. I feel the need to share of some of the places I have been to recently. Please indulge in the words I am about to share.

Hard Times Cafe
Also known as "prison food". While driving past the Utah Prison you will see a sign that says "Hard Times Cafe Now Open" it is appropriately named, for it is food indeed served to you by prisoners. You walk in to one of the trailers outside the prison and you are greeted by some of the nicest people, tats and all. The food is good. Maybe don't go there on a date, but for lunch with your buddies; definitely a good choice. And cheap for a pretty solid amount of food.
Recommendations: Don't go when you have pms, the desserts are way too big and way too cheap to pass up.
Drawbacks: The lettuce they use is not romaine. Weirds me out.


J-Dawgs
I have only been here once and the thought of eating a hot dog for lunch made me a little hesitant. BUT if you are looking for something cheap and delicious this is your place. I find myself often craving a giant polish dog with jalapenos, a side of chips, and a drink. I would eat there every week if I could and really I think it cost a total of $4.
Recommendations: Definitely get their "special" sauce. Definitely add jalapenos.
Drawbacks: Go eat it and wait twenty minutes....then you'll find out :)

Cabela's
Not only does Cabela's make you long for a manly man but watching all the fish swim in the aquarium makes you a little hungry. Conveniently, by walking up the stairs you can solve the hunger issue....maybe the boyfriend issue, if you're lucky. I have always wanted to try that place so I decided to take the kid and see how it would go. It went well. After a ten minute process of trying to decide what to eat I did something I only do every four months or so-I got a cheeseburger. You might think that's crazy because they have options like "wild boar sandwiches" or the manager's special that was fish, shrimp, coleslaw and a drink. I'm still not sure why I passed that up but too many options makes me crazy so I had to have Luke choose for me. Cheeseburger with pepper-jack cheese and a side of sweet potato fries inside one of the greatest stores ever made. Yeah, heaven.
Recommendations: Eat at least 5 days before your next weigh in.
Drawbacks: Pepsi. There's a huge difference.

Gual Berto's
Located at the first ever Kneader's Bakery, in Draper. Yes, when you walk in you will see that they covered the Kneader's sign with paper and tape. That is how you know it is authentic Mexican. If you like Mexican food you will love this place. It seems to average about $7.00 and you could easily share a meal, the two tortillas that came with my fajita took up most of the table.
Recommendations: Go starving
Drawbacks: there is not one single drawback to Mexican food.

I hope that you have feasted upon these words and that you will take them and put them to use.

4 comments:

Jenny said...

Another reason we were destined to be friends - we both love food! We should discuss restaurants sometime. Also, I'm proud to have been the one to introduce you to J-Dawgs (despite your 20 minute drawback, although I think that was from the jalapenos).

Meganps said...

you should put a note to your readers: don't read when hungry. or when feeling like a good, emotionally charged cheeseburger will make all the difference to your day.

good thing i just remembered you saved me a bite of your cabelas burger. i'm going to eat it now. and possibly not even record it as calorie intake for the day so i can eat even more for dinner. shhh

Gina Basinger Peterson said...

Let me add something to this.

The Old Spaghetti Factory.
Pros: you're out the house.
Drawbacks: Everything, including the anger that fills you after spending $30 on food you wouldn't even feed to a raccoon.

Kelsey said...

i have totally seen that sign at the prison and have always been curious! sounds like a place riley might enjoy perhaps we'll have to go haha. thanks for the tips. i love hot dogs more than is normal.
and pepsi makes such a huge difference to me that i wont usually eat places that have it.
picky?
meh.