Saturday, January 8, 2011

Men.

Marilyn Monroe once said,
"I don't mind living in a man's world, as long as I can be a woman in it".
I miss her.

Once upon a time I was dating someone. I liked him overall but there were a few issues that had come up that I couldn't shake. In the dating world we all know that the smallest of things are the biggest of deal breakers.

I knew that he wasn't exactly a "man's man" but I did pull the whole "damsel in distress" card on him and asked him to help me change a tire (I promise I could have done it myself, considering the number of tires in my life that I've had go flat..but I was on my way too church so I wasn't dressed for the occasion). I wasn't surprised he jumped at the opportunity to help but it became clear that cars weren't his area of expertise. I stood there entirely dumbfounded and almost told him that I could do it on my own in my heels and skirt.

It didn't help his case about an hour later as one of our friends came over and started talking about guns. I don't really know much about guns but I have been around enough male figures in my life to understand at least the terminology. Apparently he has not.

This was all taking place just days after I had seen one of my dear old friends and he picked me up in his truck and we drove around listening to country music and making fun of everything in life. He then took me to his house where his dad was wearing a flannel coat and a camo shirt. And as we were leaving his house we saw deer and he had to call his dad to let him know. THAT is what I'm talking about.

I don't mean to be so hard on the guy I was dating. He was one of the nicest guys I have ever been out with. But when you have scruff, I want it to be because you just don't care to shave. Not that you meticulously shaved your beard perfectly because you once overheard me say that I like facial hair.

I could be writing this out simply so I can justify, somewhere outside of my brain, the fact that I put the kabosh on yet another relationship. Or it could be that I'm too picky to function. Or maybe I just want someone that doesn't apologize after the one time he ever said something sarcastic...have you met me? OR it really could be that chivalry is not what has died, manliness has and I am holding on to what little hope I have left that, that statement, cannot possibly be true.

3 comments:

Tyson and Taylor Beaman said...

ahaha although I already heard this story I loved reading it. I love it!

Kelsey M. said...

i can assure you, manly men do indeed still exist. you will find one. one that can change your tire, shoot guns, play sports, and STILL open your door for you.
don't worry about being too picky. these are important traits for your husband to have. :)

jesse said...

hey^ that sounds like me up there....these blog posts are making me laugh.....:)