Thursday, July 29, 2010

English 101

English is not one of my stronger points. I add comma's and periods wherever I so desire and I have no idea how you are supposed to punctuate written conversations, as you will notice. But the way some people speak is like nails on a chalkboard.

A whole nother. What is that? nother? is nother a word? You cannot split a word like that. Defi not nitely.

"I could care less" Alright which means that you actually care. "What do you want to eat?" "Oh, I could care less" ok now that we have established you indeed have an opinion....."so what do you want to eat?" "Huh? I already said I could care less" We could really just go in circles with this one.

What I wouldn't give. "What I wouldn't give to have a lollipop". Well I know that I wouldn't sacrifice my car or shave my head...but I would give a starburst in trade for said lollipop.

My favorite of all was this conversation on my little brother Jake's facebook status:

Brandon: Wow your cool
Jake: What about my cool, Brandon?

That is just a small example on how you could be made to look like a fool if you do not know how to use punctuation and it makes it more enjoyable for the bystanders when you do not notice the subtle mockery.

Lastly:
"How are you today?"
"I am doing good."

Glad to know how many people in the world do good!

3 comments:

Spring said...

Thank heavens for this post! I loveeeee what Jake said, that is brilliant.

Kelsey M. said...

I am constantly getting corrected...my sis is an english teacher haha. but seriously one of my biggest pet peeves is the mis use of your and you're.

Meganps said...

so your telling me that all those time im caught saying "a whole nother" its been bugging you too? bummer.