Tuesday, December 2, 2008

Any friend of Ronald Regan is a friend of mine.

Kaitlyn and I moved into our apartment yesterday, it was kinda weird to move in and we couldn't quite figure out why this place still had it's old owners stuff in it and why there were so many books and vinyls. We figured the old owners were just renting it out to the china's who are now renting the basement to us. Pictures of this apartment will be posted soon....because the entire world is missing out on the red shag carpet and the accordian wall.

So last night, out of boredom and curiosity, I stumbled across the closet just through our launditchen. I thought it was just a simple creepy storage room, it is nothing like that at all. Apparently the guy that used to live here was AMAZING. Look him up, his name is Lorin F. Wheelwright. He wrote Latter Day Saint Hymns (including mother I love you...I LOVE that song) and was a dean at BYU. The entire storage room is full of pictures (he was a photographer on top of everything else) and a way old fashion camera and more pictures and then, something that is now sitting on the entertainment center, there was a signed picture of Ronald Regan that says "Lorin, will you be my running mate? We can jog every morning". can you believe that?? because I couldn't. This guy is incredible!! I am seriously amazed. I wish everyone could come here and see the thousands of books all over the entire apartment and the vinyls too. He was nothing short of a genius. He studied at Julliard, got his masters at University of Chicago, and his PHD from Columbia University. He became the dean at BYU in 1963 and started the Mormon Arts Festival in 1969. I am seriously in shock and want to go through all of his things! I don't know why I suddenly feel like I need to know everything about him, I just think there is so much to learn! I really want to meet his family too, and when i find my usb cord i am putting up pictures so you can get the full effect. What a great way to fill time.

3 comments:

Kaitlyn Flanagan said...

Oh man I love Lorin! We need to have a rummage party and go through every single thing in that room! He is definitely my new hero for sure.

Meganps said...

you can not have a rummage party without me. this lorin fellow is truly fascinating to me. seriously. and are you sure your usb cord isn't hidden behind the speaker in our family room? i swear we have like 97 back there.

janica said...

youll have to explain this new place to me. sounds like you live in a museum.