Monday, July 26, 2010

For everything else, there's Mastercard

When I was younger I was a compulsive money saver. I would take the same 20 dollars to the mall every week and the only thing I might end up buying would be a churro from taco time. I one time bought an $11 large Ty stuffed animal, and it a monkey so that was a rather dumb purchase. I still hate myself for it.



I had always tried to save my money, and then I learned a valuable lesson. When I was 13 I bought a dog for $275. I was so proud that I had saved enough money from babysitting to get this dog. I then paid $90 for training and $40 to get him fixed. Two abrupt years later I sold that same dog for $35 on KSL. All of the sudden I learned that money sucks.

The same thing happened with my old car. I spent x amount of dollars and for five months after the death of that car I was still making payments. This was after who knows how much money was put into it to keep it running in the first place. That's when I learned things that suck, cost a lot of money.

I have lived a life of many an unfortunate financial event. I save for a rainy day and it instantly starts pouring and I always find coupons for great things, the day after they expire. I was feeling comfortable with how things were going for a while until every penny that was saved had to go to dentist bills, plane ticket (guess that wasn't a need, but for my sanity it certainly was), car registration, FIVE...oh yes, five..new tires, safety and emissions, and any other random event to come along and ruin my financial life.

Every time I check my account I hate what I see, or rather don't see. In which case I say screw it, go get some food and hit up Target. Because I love what I see there.

2 comments:

Meganps said...

the best part of this blog is that you typed it in a fury before we ran out the door to go to the mall.

Kelsey M. said...

i hate how money controls our lives. its so depressing and stressful. i've never been the best saver. which is probably why i hate it so much. its never there. haha. ugh.