Saturday, January 23, 2010

Valiant Effort

A few Sundays ago I was invited to go to one of my friends birthday party. He is the kind of person that throws out of control bashes, not simple dinners. I was really hesitant until he pulled the "it's 2010, you were lame last year...you can't be this year too". So, I swallowed every ounce of dignity and I went to this party.

My definition of a party: eating paradise pie from chili's.
This persons definition of a party: inviting 100+ people to a huge house and having a band play. Did I say people? I meant to say strangers.

About an hour into it I noticed a few familiar faces here and there..like my real live Edward that used to work out at my work, a hot volleyball coach from my work, and my brother in laws crazy friend that I have never seen in anything but just overalls at the white trash party.

Getting to the point, in the couple of hours that I was at this party I managed to get asked the same questions 18 times. Where are you from? Where do you work? Where do you live? How do you know who lives here? Are you going to school? What do you want to be? What is your phone number? You live with your sister? How do you like that? Want to come to another party? And then I do the same thing in return-only instead of inviting them to a party I'm like hey...you want to come over and see how cute my nephew is?

So, I left the party feeling pretty good and well socialized. I have since hung out with two of the above mentioned young males and the only thing I have learned thus far is, I will never go to another party. I do not like getting asked the same questions and I do not like recieving the same results of hang outs-congratulations-you have a tv big enough to cause me a headache, choosing Marley and Me to watch doesn't really win you points since you're the 5th person to do this, and your jeans are worth more than my entire tax return.

Needless to say, I put forth my effort to socialize and I found a purpose for attempting to look cute for a day. Now I think I should go back into my routine of what really matters and sit and wait until the one person I want to ask me out-actually does. No effort needed.

1 comment:

Meganps said...

carpe diem. i'm so proud.